Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
FGM is illegal in the UK and it is illegal to prepare, send or take a child to another country.
It is of course an abuse of the human rights of girls and women and is therefore a child protection issue dealt with through the LSCB’s Inter-Agency Guidance.
If you suspect that a child/ren in Bracknell Forest is at risk of any form of FGM you must take action to report it immediately using the pathway guidance or the referral processes outlined on the home page of this site.
The following links provide access to further information that may also be of relevance:
- Bracknell Forest strategy for tackling FGM (BFLSCB, 2016)
- FGM referral process (BFLSCB, 2017)
- FGM care pathway for adults (BFLSCB, 2017)
- Support for FGM in Berkshire (Rose Room, 2017)
- Bracknell Forest JSNA - information on FGM
- Latest Government multi-agency guidance on FGM
- FGM risk and safeguarding - guidance for professionals (DOH, 2015)
- Recognising and preventing FGM - free online training
Further documents available on our FGM page in links and publications.